8.03.2011

a post about food

food is my favorite.
i love food.
i believe if you choose the right food, it will love you back.


some days my choices are better than others and lately, i have had more "better" days because i had not been feeling so great and i know it had much to do with my poor food choices.  

i am not one of these girls (women) who can eat loads of sugar and not count calories (unless i have no regard for my weight and physical health, of course).  that's just the way it is.  honestly, i feel like i have one "treat" and i can barely button my pants afterward.  

because of this, i try really hard (you know i do) but, there are always a few challenges i have with all-the-time clean eating.  one would be that it can get really boring and another is that it's a lot more time consuming (think physical labor) to plan, purchase and prepare these kinds of meals.  it probably takes just as much time and even more money to drive to mcdonalds but, it's easier for sure.  no standing at the counter chopping and measuring.  no dishwashing either.  hell, you don't even have to get out of your car if you don't want to.

since i won't eat mcdonalds unless i'm about to die from hunger, i tend to just snack on stupid food when i'm not in the mood to cook.  none of it's ever "bad" per say, but eating an entire bag of dried fruit and nuts in one sitting and calling it lunch is definitely counterproductive to my long term goals.

bang. head. against. wall.

my "ideas for what to eat" list has come in handy lately.  i'm keeping track of what i have in the fridge and resigned myself to the fact that it's not the end of the world if i eat close to the same thing for every breakfast and lunch.

if you're bored with food and/or if you need some ideas, consider this post for you.  otherwise, it makes me look really weird for taking pictures of all of my food.

1. "bangkok curry" from noodles & company (my mcdonalds)
3. breakfast :: 3 egg whites/1 whole egg scrambled and topped with jack's fresh salsa.  fresh fruit in vanilla soy milk.
4. breakfast ::  coaches oats pancakes (costco - yum!) topped with banana's, blueberries and pure maple syrup.


1. lunch :: egg salad (2 boiled egg whites/1 whole egg, 1/2 tsp light mayo, tiny squirt of mustard) on toasted "la tortilla" whole wheat tortilla's.  green salad with avocado, grape tomato, cucumber and homemade honey mustard (2 tsp dijon, 2 tbsp honey, 1 tsp white wine vinegar, 1/2 tbsp olive oil, pepper and 1 tsp water.  yields two servings).
2. breakfast :: 3 egg whites/1 whole egg scrambled and topped with jack's fresh salsa.  1 slice of "ezekiel" sprouted grain bread topped with 1 tbsp almond butter and sprinkled with truvia.
3.  same as 3 above (boredom)
4. lunch :: green salad (leafy greens and spinach) topped with grilled spicy chicken breast (i keep a little jar of this rub in the cabinet for chicken.  it's amazing!), green grapes, avocado and homemade honey mustard dressing.


dinner :: steak fajitas :: i made these fajitas the other night after marinating the beef in this amazing marinade.  they were delicious.  try this recipe for sure.


1. dinner :: hawaiian chicken sandwich on a whole grain bun with steamed asian veggies and "alexia" sweet potato fries (yum!).
2. lunch :: lemon pepper grilled chicken, grapes, 1 slice "ezekiel" sprouted grain bread topped with homemade guacamole (1 avocado, squirt of lemon juice, sliced cherry tomatoes, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, dash of salt.  combine and refrigerate for one hour prior to serving).


date time :: lunch :: my handsome husband humored me with a visit to omar's rawtopia  where he ordered the hummus pizza and i had a combo plate of raw pasta and sweet basil salad.  so incredibly delicious, it blows my mind.  i tell you, he is not into this sort of food and he didn't want to go but, he's good to me.  i was thrilled when he said, "it's actually really good."


snack time.
1. convenient store snacks :: almonds.  i'd never tried these flavored almonds so i thought i'd give them a try.  they were, quite literally, the only acceptable "snack" food i felt comfortable eating from the convenience store while i waited for sissy to finish tumbling.  i really liked the chili lime flavor.  i only had one wasabi soy almond and it was way too hot for me.  
2. husband and i went to the downtown farmers market and had the most amazing mint limeade.  i will recreate this beverage one day soon. i've already spent way too much time googling recipes.  this will happen on a "splurge" day, of course. *wink*
3. treat :: sno cones.  i like a "maui waui" or "hawaiian bomb."
4. and this, my friends, is not just my darling son standing in front of a large serving of hamburger and fries at our local grocery store.  no, that there is a cake.  a "specialty" cake no less. seriously gross.

that's all folks.

has anyone tried coconut milk?  'cause i'm thinking about it.  jillian is telling me i should and i believe everything she says.

also

do you have a favorite sno cone flavor?  cream or no cream? (i like cream but it gives me a belly ache).

7 comments:

Anastasia said...

All the food looks so good! I feel like I have one treat and my clothes don't fit right too! It's so frustrating :\

I tried So Delicious coconut milk and I *really* didn't like it. I believe everything Jillian says too but homegirl was wrong on this one. I'm sticking with almond for sure.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I'm not a fan of coconut milk unless it's in a recipe that's supposed to taste coconutty! But coconut water--yum!
:)

Amy Piller said...

those are some good meals, I will be trying:) I like tigers blood with no cream but I am trying not to allow myself one unless I walk to go get it and eat it while I walk back:)

Amanda said...

This blog made me hungry. Especially appealing was the Hawaiin chicken sandwich. I want that. I want it now. I have to run 12 miles. It would be bad to eat the sandwich now. Why did I read your blog before running?

OK, so I am totally guilty of over eating clean food. Man, I can pack away a lot of food that's all on the good list but my waist-line doesn't see excess calories as good or bad. They are just excess. Of course, if they were all the right amount of calories, but they were all crap, my waistline would register that too. So eating 2-3 of those healthy Hawaiin chicken sandwiches is something I would do. Pass on the cookies, but double or triple up on the good stuff.

I don't like coconut at all but I am going the same path as you. It is overpowering which is what I don't like. But it's a non-GMO option so that is good and I will survive.

My sister makes some healthy popsicles for her kids. Not sno cones, but possibly the recipe (she gets it from 101 cookbooks) has a companion sno cone recipe option.

The only person I know who can eat sugar without gaining weight has a horrible illness that I wouldn't wish on anybody. I am glad she gets to eat her sugar, but I don't think there are many people who can eat it sugar without repercussions.

Gwen said...

Great pic of the rasberry! You're doing so awesome! I really need to do better, much better. Especially cuz I feel so tired all of the time. Sighhhh. thanks for all of the inspiring food ideas!
xo

ashley said...

mmmm! i'm hungry even though i'm full!! i find that i only eat healthy when i'm very repetitive about my healthy meals.. mostly because i'm lazy i guess. but honestly i doesn't bother me to eat the same things over and over. these are some great meal ideas though!

Candice said...

looks like your local sno cone man is buying from my main man. TropicalSno is where Dave works. So, I know these flavors. Lime and coconut have been my long time favs. But they have a new Cranberry flavor that is just to die for.
I've missed you and running. Saturday please?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...