2.04.2010

dinner :: bbq chicken, red potatoes & steamed veggies

this is actually last nights dinner that i'll be eating the leftovers of tonight.  the kids will be thrilled to not have to endure any of my "disgusting" food tonight.  they get hot dogs over at the school for literacy night. 

this meal is super basic and super easy.

i buy frozen chicken tenders by the bag at costco.  i'll throw 10 or 12 in a ziplock in the morning and let them thaw throughout the day sometimes with no specific recipe in mind.  we eat a lot of chicken.

the chicken is easy.  i just brush a little bit of KC Masterpiece bbq sauce over the chicken and bake in a dish for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  the potatoes i boil for about 20 minutes (until tender) and then to top them, i melt 2 tbsp of butter and stir in 1.5 tsp of parsley and 1.5 tsp of chives.  pour this mixture over the potatoes and yum!  i got this recipe from another blog but i can't remember which one.  i assume it's not trademarked but if i remember, i'll be sure to reference it.  the veggies are just a steamers bag of mixed carrots, peas, corn and green beans. 

i prefer real butter so i try to use it sparingly.  most other times i use a spread like smart balance.

the entire meal (4 oz chicken, {1 tbsp bbq sauce}, 4 small potatoes, {1/2 tbsp butter} and 1 cup of veggies)
483 calories, 11.4g fat (4.6g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 385mg sodium, 51.1g carbs, 8.6g fiber, 11.7g sugar, 45.2g protein.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks so yummy, grandma and I wll have to try this one out.

Amy Piller said...

I am so excited about this new blog. I am always trying to think of good things to make for dinner that are healthy. Something I have wanted to do lately is learn new ways to make veggies. I usually just steam broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. But I had some squash the other day when I was out and want to learn to make some new veggie dishes so if you have any ideas I would love to hear them:)

Gwen said...

Mmmmmm. Idk if you want to know or not, but just in case.... bottled BBQ sauce is super high in sugar. I make my own (cheaper too!) with Worchestershire sauce, mustard & honey. Or even better yet, dry rub.

Mrs. JM said...

yes. yes. yes. i do know bbq sauce is high in sugar, that's why it's so darn delish! i would love your recipe to make my own. will you send it to me so i can give it a try. bbq sauce along with ketchup are included in my list of "consume moderately" foods. i don't consume a lot of sugar so i don't feel too bad but there's always room for improvement!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...