5.14.2011

eat more food!

jillian helped me to figure out what my bmr (basal metabolic rate) is and then she said to stick to that number of calories per day.  at least that's how i interpreted the paragraph.  but, i'm thinking i interpreted wrong. or maybe i didn't?  i need to read it again.

bmr (according to wikpedia) = "the amount of energy (calories = energy) expended while at rest in a neutrally temperate environment, in the post-absorptive state (meaning that the digestive system is inactive, which requires about twelve hours of fasting in humans)."


so my bmr was/is 1450 calories per day.  if i just sit still and do nothing, that is how much energy i will "burn."  just like a car, we need to put energy in to get energy out so eating is good.  duh.  well, when i run the numbers through bmr.org, it returns a close resting rate but then says even for someone who exercises only moderately (1-3 times per week), i should be consuming at least 1988 calories per day (in order to maintain my weight).

we know there is 3500 calories to a pound so we need to have a 3500 calorie deficit per week to lose one pound per week (this is 500 calories less per day).  what i know from past experience is that it's not wise to eat below your bmr.  doing so will seriously mess with your metabolism.  i don't know why i've been struggling with this concept so much the last two days.  yesterday i ate 1300 something calories and today, only 1700 something after i ran 8 miles so i burned at least 800 calories. if i'd only eaten 1450 calories, my body would only have 900 calories to function on.  no good.

boring numbers but, it's important stuff for everyone to understand.  ultimately, my main goal is to take care of my body.  obviously when i start the workouts on monday, i need to make sure i'm always eating at least 1450 GROSS calories per day because i'll be running too and probably going to yoga (love my yoga!).  my goal will be to go for a 500 calorie per day deficit.  so today, i really did okay.  i hope.


these are my totals for the day.  i could still stand to get my protein up and my fat down.  i'm learning.  i've never thought in percentages before.  only calories in vs. calories out.  

breakfast: all bran, vanilla soy milk, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/3 banana, 3 egg whites, 1 tbsp jack's salsa.
lunch: la tortilla factory whole wheat tortilla, 4 oz grilled chicken, 1/2 avacado, 1/4 mango, 1 tbsp skotidakis jalapeno greek yogurt dip, 1 tangelo.
snack: 1/2 green apple w/2 tbsp natural peanut butter.
dinner: 4 oz sirloin marinated in a lightened up version of our favorite korean marinade, asparagus, 1/2 tbsp smart balance, 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, cherry tomatoes.


am i missing my coffee?

maybe a little.

boring post.  i know.  just trying to get myself through family movie night featuring justin bieber "never say never" without dying.

now i'm going to watch a real movie with my man.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I'm watching with interest. Taubes put me in the calories don't count camp.

Scottkids said...

That is way too much for me to even WANT to think about. good for you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...